Sunday, November 20, 2016

Overcoming Homeschool Challenges on the Mission Field

Overcoming Homeschool Challenges on the Mission Field

I'm not sure if you have ever had seasons in your life where you battle discouragement, your abilities and things going on in life that you can't control - but I have!

Homeschooling high school on the mission field has brought me to frustration and tears that I have not had since teaching the kids to read. Seriously! I am a numbers girl, but Algebra - ugh!!!!  I battle the desire to even want to relearn it to teach it. 

I can remember days when I loved homeschooling the kids.  Where did that joy go?  I certainly have NOT lost the love for my kids!!!  

My mind battles for freedom! I have done this already! Why do I have to do this all over again?!?!? I wasn't good at Algebra the first time around. Oh great, another question they have and I can't answer it!!!! Wait, we have to do a Science Project and Book Reports at the same time!?!?!? Lord, help me!!!!

I feel burned out.  I feel like I have tapped out on my abilities with school during these higher levels.  I feel like they deserve better!  They deserve sports programs & trained teachers..... and friends.   I am not quite sure what to do though.  We have no other options.  There is an international school here, but the cost is way, way out of our budget.  It would be $11.700 a year for my 3 older kids to attend!  I don't know how any missionary families have that kind of money.  

Your will Lord, not my will... That is where I am at.  I will not quit.  I will not give up.  We will press on in this journey, through difficulty.  We will praise God in the storm!  He is faithful!

This is where the Lord has me.  He has not brought provision for education elsewhere.  We have not been able to find a qualified tutor that we can afford. It's just me :) 

I remind myself that FEELINGS are MISLEADING.  Emotions come and go! 

 So hold on Amy, bend a knee and trust the Good Lord to get us all through this!!!  

Philippians 4:13 tells me "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"


I will take that truth!

So, although I would love to have hours in the Word studying, mastering this foreign language in the country we have lived in for over 5 years, or go to different outreaches, read a book & use my creative side to express myself...I choose to accept the path the Lord has before me.  I am certain there are other people on more difficult paths than mine! 

James 1:12 says, "God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

I am certain that the Lord is good!  There is something in this for not only me, but my children.  They will see their mom press in when the going gets tough.  They will learn that we don't give up.  We will all learn to be thankful for what we have been given, even in hardship.  

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

My go to moves in this season:  
1. Prayer & Worship 
2. Coffee Date with Trent (my husband) for encouragement when his schedule allows 
3. Journal & remember the bigger picture. 

What are your Go to moves when you battle the call of Homeschooling?

No comments: