Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Today I witnessed a young boy dying





Today was a bit different from our normal day. Aside from Thai language school, we were all going into see a dentist. I don't know about you, but this is not one of my favorite things to do, especially living in Thailand! Also, Trent and I both have new language teachers. So, that is always an "adjustment". She is great & we know we are going to learn a lot, but it will also take time as we readjust to her expectations & learning style. So, today needless today was very ….. what's the word… mentally and emotionally challenging?.?. I guess that is how I would describe it.

The day is coming to a close & it is time to pick Trent up from language study. We are driving through Chiang Mai & it is full of traffic! Motorcycles everywhere! It is madness, but strangely I am used to it so it is really not a big deal to us.

(Here is a typical group of kids coming home from school on their motorcycles)




The kids and I are jamming out to Jesus Culture singing at the top of our lungs having a lot of fun. Then, suddenly we come to a sudden stop. There had been a motorcycle accident, a bad one. I am not sure what just happened, but we were one of the first to witness. We were on a busy highway & could not stop in our lane of traffic, but it is one of those moments in time that seems to last forever. This young man, a teenager, was near death. He was shaking and bleeding heavily. My mind took pictures of the scene. There was a girl standing helpless & in shock. There was a young man holding on to the boy crying. There were people stopped in traffic. There were tuk tuk driver's calling for help. Actually I think there probably 20 different people calling for help. Then, there were people like me that had to keep going or more accidents would happen on this Super Highway. Could you imagine seeing your friend in a state like this? They were on their way home from school in uniforms. This boy was probably having a normal day. Instinctively I began to pray & cry out for his soul! This seen took me to a state of brokenness that you can only know if you have been broken in prayer. Jackson, Braden, and Trinity and I reached out our hands and began praying & interceding for him. Unfortunately we did not get to witness a miracle, (although we do not know that it did not happen) but we do know that we were before the throne of Grace! We know as we cried out for this young man - God was hearing our prayers for him.





After I picked up Trent I began thinking, "What if I am the only one aside from Jesus that has ever interceded for this boy, personally?" I mean, we live in a country that is mainly Buddhist and Muslim too. Less than 1% of the population is Christian. In America, there is a church just about on every corner (and we need them!), but here the gospel is not known to the majority. We have had the privilege of sharing the gospel with people that have never even heard the name of Jesus. It is truly incredible to introduce the Savior by divine appointment. Tonight as I was thinking about this question I was reminded of why we are here! Everybody is going to die. Nobody knows when they are going to die & probably most will die on just a normal day. But as Christians we know we are living for Eternity. Living for Jesus. We have a job as a child of God & that is to share the gospel! Today, if you are a Christian – Go and Preach the Gospel!



1 comment:

The Herd said...

The fact that you were there and you did pray was the miracle for this boy--God organizes timing of our being in places at specific times. I pray that you see him in heaven.
So, on a different note, how was the dentist?