Saturday, October 27, 2007

When life gives you lemons, let your kids make lemonade!!!


Well it is the 28th of the month, which regularly seems to be a time of great “stretching” financially. The Lord always provides our every needs & it is up to us to use what He gives us J So, Trent and I are putting together with what we have left for the month & making do. Then I start thinking about “beyond the necessities” and about my kids snack time. I figure I can make cookies to make yummy treats to keep things going.
So here I am, Betty Crocker I am NOT, and I am cooking away! I do not have the ingredients to make the normal favorites & decide to get creative……Hmmmm….. Not always a great idea, but I have to do with what we have. Ginger Treats it is! After all, I have had my sister in laws & they were very good.
As I am bringing the final ingredients into mixture I decide to give it a taste……..EW! Disgusting! I have come to learn that these were not the cookie recipe I thought that it was! So, I am thinking….what have I done!! I have used our resources & these are going to be horrible!! A flood of emotions run through my mind, but I resist all those & decide I can fix it!
Adding a bunch more sugar, brown sugar too, a little bit of this & a whole lot of that….and well, it is edible. I am disappointed, but going to keep experimenting, but before I do I will see if they taste better “baked”. I bake & pull out. I sample, and still not that good L Jackson (my pickiest eater) come running in from playing in the rain & asks, “did you make cookies!!!???!!” I respond hesitantly…..”yes…” He replies very excited with big eyes, “can I have one?” “Yes” I reply. He takes a bite, “mmm Mom these are so good. Very good!” He had no idea that I messed up the recipe, but He liked it!
My next test….Trinity. She takes a bite, “mm, can I have another?” Oh yes you may! I think to myself that I have increased the batch to feed our entire village by trying to “improve” it.
Finally, Braden…..Well, Braden always likes ANYTHING – so he did indeed like it! He even liked the burned ones!
In summary, I may never make these cookies again, but my kids were happy and blessed & have what they think are yummy treats – I am so thankful!
I have been blessed with AWESOME KIDS!!!

No comments: